2017 Habitat For Humanity Canada Board of Directors
Habitat for Humanity Canada is seeking outstanding individuals from across Canada with governance experience to serve as Internal and External Directors on our National Board.
Habitat for Humanity Canada is the national federation body for Habitat for Humanity International. Operating in more than 60 countries worldwide, Habitat’s Mission is focused on permanently eradicating poverty housing one family at a time through affordable home ownership. Habitat has helped more than half a million partner families around the world to achieve their goal of home ownership and continues to grow each year. Habitat has been active with-in Canada for more than 25 years. Habitat is actively partnering with families across Canada to build, buy and occupy their own homes in over 100 communities through our network of 56 Affiliate members. Habitat Canada has been active in Canada for more than 25 years. More information is available at www.habitat.ca.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Habitat for Humanity Canada is directed by a Board of up to 15 Directors holding oversight accountability for the organization’s mandate, brand strength and protection, fundraising, health and safety and more. The Board guides the strategic direction; hires and evaluates the CEO and provides governance oversight to the day to day operations. This includes monitoring the organization’s effectiveness and service outcomes through a range of performance indicators. The board monitors the use of resources, the performance of Affiliate members across Canada and evaluates and improves its own governance effectiveness. In addition, Board members may act in an advocacy capacity and subject matter experts in the various operating areas as needed.
THE POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
- We are currently seeking experienced directors, preferably with experience in not-for-profit boards, who are passionate about our mission and understand their governance role in that capacity. While all accomplished career individuals will be considered, of particular interest will be those whose resumes include experience in Real Estate Development, Legal Expertise, Fundraising or Marketing and Public Relations at a senior level. Board members are expected to attend four face to face meetings of the Board per year as well as several conference calls and participate on at least one Board committee.
The structure of the 15 Board Directors allows for Internal Directors nominated by Affiliates across Canada as well as up to 5 External Directors applying directly to Habitat for Humanity Canada. At the May 2017 Habitat for Humanity Canada AGM, there are up to four (4) National Board of Director positions to be elected of which no more than two (2) can be filled from external candidates.
- More information about the Board role and responsibilities, the nominating process and application forms can be found at http://www.habitat.ca/call-for-nominations-board-of-directors.php
- Director terms are normally 3 years in length, this is a voluntary position with travel costs for meetings in various parts of Canada being reimbursed.
- Closing Date for nomination submissions is 5 PM EST, January 20, 2017 for receipt of applications at Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Toronto Office either in physical or electronic format, or postmarked by Canada Post no later than January 20, 2017 if delivering by mail.
If you are interested and wish to take on this highly challenging volunteer board position that helps families across Canada and around the world achieve safety and security through affordable home ownership, please review the relevant documents below and complete the application form available at the link below.
- Nomination Form For Internal Candidates
- Nomination Form For External Candidates
- Call for Nominations/Applications to the National Board of Directors