2019 Habitat For Humanity Canada National Board of Directors
- Application Form For Internal Candidates
- Application Form For External Candidates
- Call For Applications 2019
Habitat for Humanity Canada is seeking outstanding individuals from across Canada with governance experience to serve as Internal and External Directors on our National Board.
Founded in 1985, Habitat for Humanity Canada is a national, nonprofit organization working toward a world where everyone has a decent and affordable place to call home. Habitat for Humanity brings communities together to help families build strength, stability and independence through affordable homeownership. With the help of volunteers, Habitat homeowners and 54 local Habitats working in every province and territory, we provide a solid foundation for better, healthier lives in Canada and around the world. Habitat for Humanity Canada is a member of Habitat for Humanity International, which was established in 1976 and has grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in more than 70 countries. For more information, please visit www.habitat.ca.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Habitat for Humanity Canada is directed by a Board of up to 15 Directors holding oversight accountability for the organization’s mandate, brand strength, fundraising, health and safety and more. The Board guides the strategic direction; hires and evaluates the CEO and provides governance oversight to the day to day operations. This includes monitoring the organization’s effectiveness and service outcomes through a range of performance indicators. The board monitors the use of resources, the performance of Affiliate members across Canada and evaluates and improves its own governance effectiveness. In addition, Board members may act in an advocacy capacity and subject matter experts in the various operating areas as needed.
THE POSITIONS AVAILABLE:
- We are currently seeking experienced directors, preferably with experience in not-for-profit boards, who are passionate about our mission and understand their governance role in that capacity. While all accomplished career individuals will be considered, of particular interest will be those whose resumes include experience in Fundraising, Banking and Mortgages, Retail Experience and those with a CA / CPA designation. Board members are expected to attend four face to face meetings of the Board per year as well as several conference calls and participate on at least two Board committees.
- The structure of the 15 Board Directors allows for Internal Directors nominated by Affiliates across Canada as well as up to 5 External Directors applying directly to Habitat for Humanity Canada. For 2019 there are up to 6 internal director vacancies and up to 3 external director vacancies.
- More information about the Board role and responsibilities, the nominating process and application forms can be found at http://www.habitat.ca/call-for-nominations-board-of-directors.php
- Director terms are normally 3 years in length, this is a voluntary position with travel costs for meetings in various parts of Canada being reimbursed.
- Closing Date for nomination submissions is 5 PM EST, December 14, 2018 for receipt of applications at Habitat for Humanity Canada’s Toronto Office either in physical or electronic format, or postmarked by Canada Post no later than December 14, 2018 if delivering by mail.
If you are interested and wish to take on this highly challenging volunteer board position that helps families across Canada and around the world achieve safety and security through affordable home ownership, please review the relevant documents above and complete the application form available at the link above.